I generally don't enjoy shopping, but I do enjoy good food, and in particular being connected to the people who grow it. A balcony garden can only grow so much! ;-)

Some highlights:
1. The eggs in the back are from the egg man.
2. Front, the last of the local fresh peas. I had asked last week if there would again be peas next week, the selling girl shouts across to the older gentleman (the owner?) my question. Direct from the source came the answer, definitely Sat and maybe Wed.
3. Back, is a Thai Basil plant. In my corner of NRW it's easy to find (standard? Italian?) Basil, but Thai Basil in potted plan form is a little more difficult. It started dumping rain as I was buying this and the stand was sheltered from it, so I was chatting to the selling girl, and she asks where I'm from, what I'm doing in Muenster, etc. Turns out she spent a year of high school in Indiana and enjoyed it very much, even though it was more rural than she expected America to be.
4. A plethora of tomatoes. In this part of NRW tomatoes are at their peak right now of taste as well as good pricing, so I bought some extras so I could make some sauce.
5. Potatoes in the plastic bag in the center. I went to a potato stall, with oodles of different varieties of potatos. Which is the best potato to make mashed potatos? Ah, you want this one. A potato expert at the ready, I was very pleased. I suck at trying to buy potatos for mashing, (or rather for D to make mashed for me), so when there is a knowledgable potato seller available, I am very happy to take any and all potato buying recommendations.
6. Fresh corn, center back. Considering the number of corn fields in my immediate area, I'm always surprised that 1. It's not sold fresh in the supermarkets here, but rather stuffed 2 to a little plastic vaccuum sealed in some liquid pack and 2. It's not sold at roadside stands. So fresh corn is a rarity I'm always happy to find here. (It was between 75 cents to 1 EUR per ear, ouch!)
Other items in the photo: raspberries, yellow squash, garlic, little onions, cheddar cheese, giant German beans with a handful of 'bean herbs', and a bus ticket. Not photographed: a to go coffee and small bread.
1 comment:
The cheddar cheese, alone, would have gotten me there! I can't find it in my neck of Germany.
Post a Comment