Sunday, July 06, 2008

Summer in Europe - August

As summer is currently grinding most offices to a halt here, I'm making the jump this year from a 2 week summer holiday to a 3 week summer holiday in August. I was busy with a large work project earlier in the year, so I have not taken any holiday yet this year.

Last summer was camping in the Faroes, the summer before was Iceland. This year, I'm going a bit domestic--I'm taking an intensive summer German course at a VHS in Germany, with a goal to perhaps take one of the Goethe tests in the fall. To make it a 'real' holiday, though, I chose a VHS over an hour away, and I'll be camping near it. However, I'll still be able to pop home once or twice a week to water the garden and pick the tomatoes, and do laundry.

So class 3.5 hours each morning, then the afternoon to relax at the outdoor lake, or to be a tourist in the larger cities nearby.

And after 3 weeks away from the office? I'll be taking one more week off, but not losing vacation time. The state of NRW graciously grants five days of Bildungsurlaub per year. I'll be taking a 5 full day course (in German, at B1 level) at my local VHS, 'German for the workplace'. It includes topics such as writing business letters, health and safety, and the rights of workers. I expect it to be quite interesting in subject matter, as company J is an American company, I suspect much of work life here is filtered through an American view, so I'm interested to hear how it is presented from a German perspective.

So if you're keeping track at home--I will be working one day during the entire month of August (Friday the first). And I'll still have 3 weeks of vacation to use yet this year. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love getting the German vacation allowance? Makes it hard to go back to the 2-3 week US one!

heather in europe said...

andrea: definitely!