Since a few of you had things to say and the comments box is too small for me to respond...
Having been here almost five years, I am no longer shocked or frustrated by the attitude or actions of anyone in this country. (Not sure if that's a good thing though!) Three years ago I would have been appalled, and would not have told the story as it would have been too painful to re-live. Interestingly, I told the same story in the office, and here were the German colleague responses:
colleague one: (in the middle of doing something but half listening, mumbles) private insurance....doctors in Germany....more appointments....pfui....make money...
colleague two: (never lived outside of Germany, but has locally dealt with a lot of things for non-Germans so tends to see things as such, and was the one who set up this appt). This is why I don't like doctors here. They think they're gods.
colleague three: (also never lived outside of Germany, but used to my occasional rants on living here, so he no longer takes it personally, but earnestly tries to educate me when he thinks I've missed the boat) This is how you know that German doctors are serious about your eye health, when they are serious with you. Only a good doctor would take the time to say such things.
I found colleague 3's thoughts to be most thought-provoking, as it is something I never considered. I dread this appointment weeks in advance, in general because I don't like people poking around my eyes, especially cranky ones who seems to be bent on bringing a dark cloud into everyone's day. Although based on the #3 above, I imagine the guy spoke to me like he speaks to every other person visiting his office, (although I think he's perhaps an extra bit curmudgeonly in general, even by German standards).
If you're not living in Germany you may wonder why I don't just switch drs. A few simple reasons I guess.
1. There are no 'American-style' doctors within 20 minutes from where I live. I consider it a win when I get one who can speak some English words.
2. The guy seems competent in measurements. He picked up that one eye is slightly weaker this year without me mentioning it.
3. The office staff is superb. In particular when they are explaining something unfamiliar that we don't have in the US, they have no problems repeating their instructions a second time with different German words and then listening to me repeat them back. (One drop of these special drops in each eye every 20 min for one hour prior to coming here next?)
4. I don't consider this to be a life-long relationship, as I don't plan to stay in Germany forever.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment