second verse, same as the first,
a little bit louder and a whole lot worse.
So I woke up at 0655 this morning, in order to start the eye drop regime- 07.00, 07.20, get in car, pull over at 07.40 for 3rd set, arrive at 07.50, into the office at 08.00, for another set of drops at 08.10.
(I'm not quite sure how the US can have drops that dilate your eyes within 10 min and only last maybe 45 min after that, while in Germany this is a hella long drawn out process.) It's now 11 PM and my eyes still look dilated. I had brought along my coffee as I remember being there until 10 AM last year. Unfortunately this year was a repeat, even with my three times in the seven o'clock hour.
More drops: 08.30, 08.45, 09.10, 09.20, and 09.30. Finally a set of yellow drops at 09.45, and in to see the cranky pants dr at 09.50. He goes through his measurements. I ponder the use of eye technology in America. When I lived in California, for an extra few bucks my eye dr would do a digital thingy, so you could see your actual eyes on the computer screen, and even print them out. Then they would save them each year in order to run computer comparisons of changes.
What do I get here? I thing it was a glass magnifying glass plonked on my eyeball with a lot of drops and shifted around from here to eternity while he glared under his special magnifier.
Then, the official opinion. "I have measured your eyes, look here on your chart (complete with dr scrawl), and they have not changed. However, when you were wearing your contacts you could not read the smaller letters properly, so I thought you needed a stronger setting. Or maybe it's that the contacts are not good for your eyes."
"The office is on holiday the next three weeks, come back after that, and we test you wearing your glasses to see if you read the same as with the contacts"
(handshake)
They are booked up immediately after their holiday so I'm not in again until the first week of March.
On a slightly odd note, I was asked three times whether I needed a dr note, to excuse me from the office. The last time I received a dr's note, I was 14 and getting my braces off so late into school that morning. In retrospect, I should have accepted it as a nice souvenir of the whole experience.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow. This sounds like I huge ordeal. I haven't had the pleasure of a doctor's visit of any kind yet in Germany!
dm: I look forward to a post if/once you have such an experience. Interesting blog you have, btw.
Doc notes are a dime a dozen here. It's scary how easy they are to get.
I'm diabetic, so I get to go every freakin' six months for the total full-as-full-can-get pupil dilation hell. Just got the thrill (yeeeeah) of the first time in Germany a few months ago. Yes, what IS it with their crappy eye drops here??!! I had MORE THOROUGH exams in the US with drops that works in a few minutes, only needed to be administered ONCE and wore off quickly afterwards. Here I couldn't SEE (I mean, I couldn't read even large signs! nothing! just blurry!) for nearly 3 HOURS after I left the appointment! Thank God my husband was with me or I wouldn't have found my way home. And I'm unfortunately not exaggerating. I couldn't freaking see anything but blurriness. WTF???!!! Do they use industrial strength eye drops from 1940???!
Post a Comment