Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Catch 22

Do you remember those logic tests--maybe if you took the GMAT or the LSAT?

There are five students in the class. Sally's math score was higher than Bob's but lower than Billy's. Billy's match score was not the highest, and on and on. So that at the end you had to put them all in order.

Here's another sample:
  • Heather's work permit expires in Feb 2012, so Heather now has to start making sure that she is receiving all paper copies of bank statements, pay statements, etc.
  • Heather's passport expires in Apr 2013, so Heather will need to get a new passport prior to that event as the Home Office will not be able to place the full two year sticker into an expiring passport.
  • The Home Office suggests to submit a work permit renewal at least one month in advance, so January 15.
  • The Home Office will accept work permit renewals up to three months prior to expiration (so Nov 15, 2011). I.e. you may submit paperwork proof from any 12 month span in the 15 months prior to expiration.
  • Heather plans to go back to the US for a December 2011 visit, roughly Dec 15-Dec 30, depending on the prices
  • The Philadelphia passport office says that overseas residents must get their passport renewed in their overseas country of residence.
  • The Home Office makes no guarantees on work permit processing times, but their current stats say that they are working on late Sept applications, so a 1 month lag before they open the envelope, and then a week of processing times if no issues.
  • The London Embassy says to allow at least 15 working days for mailed in passport applications.
  • There is no option to do in-person passport applications in London.
  • Heather would prefer not to have to travel into the UK on a shiny new US passport without a shiny new UK work permit it in. She spent time a few years ago in Immigration custody in 2003, the vegetarian sandwiches were not so great.

In case you are wondering why Heather would have planned so poorly to have a work permit due in Feb? That's actually the handiwork of the Home Office. My original UK work permit application was on April 1, 2008 and was not approved until late Oct, and then I had to throw on a three month notice period to disconnect my life in DE.

So the 20,000 dollar question:

When should Heather attempt to renew her passport and work permit?

4 comments:

J said...

LOL! I love this post.

I'd advise doing it now. I don't know how long the London Embassy takes, but the Frankfurt Consulate had mine done in a week.

The funny part of overseas citizens doing it overseas is that all renewals from overseas are actually sent to DC to be processed and then sent back.

J said...

oops, sorry, missed the part about when to renew the work permit.

As soon as you get the new passport. Also, take the old one with you so that immigration can see that you do have the legal right to work there, and explain (only if asked) about your new one being processed (and give them a copy of this post).

vailian said...

Yeah. Get new passport now. I once made the mistake of waiting, and although the passport was still perfectly valid, I was not allowed into one Balkan country because I didn't have a COMPLETELY blank page to put their huge miserable stamp in. The woman calmly suggested I drive to Vienna and get a new one.

G in Berlin said...

After I got my passport replaced (due to loss), I didn't want to get a replacement visa while I was expecting to get a permanent one within a few weeks. So I carried the xerox of the old one with me and if anyone asked, they seemed to have no problem looking at that and getting an explanation. On the plus side, I moved around enough that only the UK asked (they always ask).