Saturday, October 18, 2008

Germans and parking spaces

yes I realize this sort of thing happens in the US and other places also...

My work colleague and I meet every other month for a haircut appointment (same salon, different stylists, at the same time). This establishment is located on a relatively busy street in the Leverkusen suburbs, but mainly with cars passing through to other shopping areas. This street itself has only the hair salon, a bakery and a kiosk as commercial establishments, the rest is residential. The main street was parked full, so I had to park on one of the many residential streets. These streets are free for parking, with marked spots. Most of the houses on this street have driveways and garages, so 80% of the street spots were free.

I am parked, and a man walked out from the house (which has a driveway and garage) I parked in front of and knocks on my window. As I'm pressing down the window button, he opens my car door.

"How long are you going to be here?"
-an hour.
"You cannot park here, go park across the street."
-I'm sorry, but my German is not so good. I cannot park here?
"No. You may not park here."
-Where is the sign which states I cannot park here? (looking up and down the empty street where no such sign exists.)
"This is my wife's parking spot. You may not park here. You may park over there."
-This is a free parking street. Your wife may park over there.
"Da ist mir egal." (and he walks away, perhaps realizing that he has no basis for his request.)

Uh-huh. Having made my point, I did park on the other side of the street, because life is too short to get caught up in such foolish little games, and I did not want to be worrying for an hour what he would be doing to my unattended car. Had he come up with some reason like he was going to be trimming the bushes (someone was doing that down the street) or his wife could not walk far or whatever, I would have immediately moved, with pleasure.

Interactions like these tire me. I know it has absolutely nothing to do with me being a foreigner in DE, that this is just how people here are. But it reminds me that I don't really belong there, as I cannot understand these things.

(Although the Philly side of my had a fleeting Philly thought, to return after dark with some rotten eggs to his wife's car, but then I remembered we're not in Philly so a Philly reaction is not called for here.) ;-)

The stress over parking in this country seems silly. My work colleague lives in Duisburg, on a street with an old lady. When I went to visit him, he explained in advance not to park in front of the yellow house two houses down, because if one does, the old lady comes out and starts to shout at you, that you need to move your car, or she will call the police.

-So Colleague J, does she have an elderly partner who needs the spot because he has difficulty walking?
"No H, she has no car."
-??? So why the fuss.
"Because she's retired H, with nothing to do and no people interactions, and she looks out her window all day, and she doesn't like to see a car there."
-But colleague J, it's a public street. Do the police really do anything?
"No, they never come, or she never calls. But the path of least residence is to park elsewhere to avoid the drama."

My other work colleague had a h*ll of a time at her last flat where parking was tight. She parked and her neighbor came out as soon as she parked in front of the neighbor's house. The neighbor told her not to park there, as the neighbor's husband should park there. But it's a public street? Yes, you may park down there, a few doors away, there is always extra space. But your husband could park there? No, this is the spot in front of my house.

On principle then, she remained, and it then got worse. Notes were left on her car each time she parked in front of this particular neighbor's house, threatening to call the police. Then she was mysteriously reported to the TV police, and it was a continual escalation of silly things.

I cannot fathom what life must be like for these people who get so emotional over parking spaces, nor do I really want to know at this time. Thankfully life in the Tiny town of B does not include such shenanigans--or at least not where I live.

1 comment:

J said...

Things like this drive me batty about this country.