Thursday, October 09, 2008

Friday lunch - Hokkaido pumpkin stir-fry

As I mentioned, I'm somewhat limited in what I can take to the office. The tiny 'Tea Kitchen' where the microwave is housed is constantly busy with people picking up tea and coffee, and the microwave is an older, smaller machine with limited power. So most of us use it for simple tasks, and as my colleague noted, always defrost in advance, else it takes 15 min!

I like to make multiple meals at a time so here was tonight's dinner, with a second portion for lunch on Friday, and probaly a smaller portion for Saturday's lunch.

I roasted another Hokkaido pumpkin. They're fully in season now, so they're down to 1.99 at my Kaufpark.

While it was in the oven I sliced some garlic and onions and fried them up.
Then I added the in-season brussel sprouts.
I had fried up some tofu, that went in.
I had some leftover fresh zucchini from last night, that went in.
I sliced up the roasted pumpkin and gave that a few minutes.
I put in 2 egg whites, which fried nicely.
I put in some chilli soy sauce and some vegetarian 'oyster' (read mushroom) sauce.
Sauted it up all together and off we go.
I threw in a handful of Thai basil at the end.
I had left some noodles from today's lunch in the fridge in the office so we're set for lunch.

3 comments:

vailian said...

Hey, all this cooking is making me hungry!
I do love those pumpkins.

christina said...

Yummo! I bought a little Hokkaido for 1,99 at our local Edeka on Wednesday but I'm saving it to make a pie for Thanksgiving.

Can you please come over and tell my family how delicious that stir fry would taste if only they would try it??

heather in europe said...

vailian-they are superb here in Germany, welcome back. :-) more to come...

christina-thanks for the pricepoint. my rewe just dropped to 1.99 also, life gets better...

maybe mix in some meat strips/chunks as I've seen similar recipes involving it...or buy DE kuerbis, then it's more justifiable. or if you need a crazy american to say so, i can pop over. am supposed to be in hannover for work next month. :-)