Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sperrmüll it is!

Mausi is one smart cookie to figure that out the answer to this little quiz. Or maybe she just had a leg up on the topic since Mr. M is a flea market fan. A small prize is due to the lady, perhaps at the next Whiney Expat meetup.

(The answer would be 'trash-picking' for English readers. ;-))

I've tried to point out to D, it's not so bad, even the Wall Street Journal talks about this trend in Germany.

I happen to enjoy the selection in Wuppertal. I came out of Polish class just after 9 PM and it was 8 degrees and dark out. However, the streets were crawling like it was a warm summer day. People were hauling things out of the cellars and apartments, and people were going up and down the streets seeking the best prize from the curb offerings. Some had flashlights, some pull along carts, and some drove up in cars for precious big items.

I had some things to do and I don't plan to stay in Germany forever, so I really didn't need to acquire anything, except noticing the plant holders while walking past, I thought they'd be useful for my herbs, so I joined the mix sifting through the garganuan curbside mountains. If you're in the need of furniture, dishes, appliances, clothing, toys, absolutely anything in the world, find a good neighborhood in Germany and keep an eye open for the bulk trash day when everyone puts out anything and everything.

And more about the planters? I spent the week learning about the intricacies of West German pottery to figure out what I picked up. Seems my herbs will be in finer digs than I'd ever buy for them.

2 comments:

christina said...

Oooh, I get a prize?

We've been trash picking for almost two decades now. :-) What we didn't get from the flea market we got from the Sperrmüll - flower pots, bicycles, mirrors, furniture, you name it. But now they've changed the system where we live and it's not so easy any more. There used to be a date announced in the newspaper for a particular neighbourhood so if you were in the right place at the right time you could get some good stuff (although it's technically illegal to take things without asking the owner first - the stuff belongs to him until it's picked up). Now if you have something to throw out you have to call the company and get a pick up date so you never know exactly who's going to be putting out their stuff or when.

Interesting link about the German pottery. I had no idea.

heather in europe said...

christina: fortunately the small prize won't be something trash picked. ;-)