Sunday, June 03, 2007

jet lag plus-->better than traditional jet lag

So I'm sitting on the plane back to DE, at about two hours from CGN enjoying my exit row in cattle class, and I start sneezing. The guy behind me starts to sneeze also. I have no reason as to why this would be, and the first thought that comes into my head is that I am catching a cold from the cold air due to the exit door. I then banished that German thought immediately and pondered if it was the recycled air, and something had worked its way in, like perfume.

However, my nose starts to run watery, and it's excessive. Fortunately I insist on putting every napkin given to me during the trip in my pocket so I used them in lieu of tissues. On the flip side, I end of cursing the wadded up unused napkins in my bag every time I go somewhere thinking, why do I bring these things along? I sit there thinking--there is no way this is my June allergies invading-we're above the clouds using stale plane air.

Upon arriving at CGN and waiting for the bag, all was fine. I go out and find the car and head out with the window down and I'm beginning to get stuffed up. I try my tried and true test to see if something is a Germany flower allergy for me--I put on the AC with the windows up. Sure enough it stops.

I get up to the tiny town of B. and get out of the car and it gets worse again. After a brief three hour nap (yes, it's my secret weapon to get through the day, with the caveat being to make it no more than three hours), I wake up and it's worse.

You.have.got.to.be.f'ing.kidding.me.

I get wicked allergies in DE each year around June, but I think because I've been away this has just hit me like a ton of bricks. So my next move was to dump the stash of US drugs from the closet that are lovingly squirreled away for such the occasion. And then to mutter some choice expletives and I realized that a few of them 'may cause drowsiness'. I'm currently treading water in the sea of drowsiness, so I really don't need anymore help in that area.

I'm currently partaking in 'Tylenol Severe Allergy' as its sunshiny yellow box does not contain anything about drowsy. It's a new one in my line-up, so we'll see if it will be a returning one.

5 comments:

Jul said...

Good luck with that! I only have plain old jetlag, and that's hard enough. I still suck at going from the US to Europe...

J said...

Sounds like we have a similar allergy. Mine usually starts in mid-May, but due to not having winter this year, it started in April. I'm hoping it'll end earlier too.

christina said...

Everything bloomed about two weeks early this year so that probably explains it. That AND jet lag? Not fun at all.

heather in europe said...

jul: this direction is also my worse side. having tried every option coming back, the three hour nap is my best bet.

j: interestingly i never had it in the US. my colleagues suspect it's the weedy yellow flower as that coincides. i tend to agree as i don't know the weedy yellow flower from the US.

christina: glad i missed some of it while i was gone then!

Anonymous said...

I got socked in Germany this year--my first year. It started about two weeks after I returned from South Africa.