Sunday, March 11, 2007

A tale of a vegetarian lunch or two

After yesterday's crankiness at the weather, I woke up today to full blazing sunshine so things are looking up. Since I have a business trip from Tues to Sat this week, I didn't go food shopping, but was instead clearing out the fridge of anything fresh that would go bad while I'm gone.
Saturday's lunch:
A fake chick'n fillet from a Belgium shopping trip covered by brussel sprouts and given a quick fry in a Nando's Sweet Chilli Satay sauce, also from Belgium.


Sunday's lunch:
Same as the above, but substitute fresh spinach for the sprouts.

I had already experienced Nando's sauces, they are absolutely yummy if you are making something quick from a jar. This particular sauce is vegan (no dairy).

However, I knew nothing about Tivall (their UK website), the maker of the vegetarian chicken fillet, beyond that it was a meatless thing made of soy. The package details were in Dutch, French, and German (in that order), with an Antwerp address

I was trying to find either the Dutch or Belgian site additionally, because the UK product line is geared toward UK eating, with things like breakfast sausages and fake meat products covered in breading, not 'naked' like this yummy item was, and I wanted to see what more they offer.

I spotted this on their website, but interestingly, not on the package.
"At its state-of-the-art manufacturing base in Northern Israel Tivall is dedicated to extensive Research & Development."

This blurb led me to search for "tivall vegetarian boycott" which produced at least 40 websites in English about places in Europe that are refusing to stock Tivall products due to political reasons in connection to Israel/Palestine affairs. (At this point I'm absolutely fascinated, as veg fake meat products tend not to elicit controversy, but instead a garden variety of websites offering recipes.) Maybe it's my background of American consumerism and the almighty dollar, but someone refusing to stock a vegetarian product on political reasons almost seems laughable.

Still reading? Compare their 'about us' section in English, vs. their equivalent section on their German website. The German site includes more content, in particular mentioning Kibbuz Lochamei Hagetaot, which I'm not sure why would be on the German site, but not the English site.
http://www.tivall.de/content.asp?id=14
http://www.tivall.co.uk/content.asp?id=14

I also saw a bit from a Czech site, that they are opening a manufacturing facility there. Hmm. Interested in seeing their products in Germany? Limited availability, find out stores selling them here.

No comments: