Sunday, March 13, 2011

Puttering around the rooftop garden

Weather in my corner of Essex today was 'white clouds' and a high of 12. I would have never understood that forecast prior to coming here. It was a bright, but not sunny morning, and vaguely warm, when one had on long sleeves and garden gloves. Fortuneately I worked from 8-12 AM on the balkon, because 'grey clouds' rolled in around lunchtime, and brought rain along.

My camera bit the dust on the recent trip to Spain, so no photos, however, here is what I was up to today:
-I bought a giant planter at poundland a few weeks back. (no really, 1 GBP for a reinforced plastic woven square shaped bag that will probably do for a year or two, with 100 litre capacity, so quite large). I think it will suit a few chilli pepper plants. I cleared out some of the 'compost bags' that have been in place since the fall. It's always an education to me, to see what goes on in such a little ecosystem. I had a lot of worms due to the decaying veg scraps as well as the dead potatos that I had lost due to the early fall snow.

In addition, I always like to see what is growing from the compost. In this case, I had some ivy that I had clipped from Ian's in the fall; I had thought it was done and threw it into the compost, and here it comes back with a vegence and strong root system. I did remove that and put it into a smaller pot as ivy is so invasive. It will be a good candidate for ebay. :-)

-I moved the garlic mini-plants from the sprouting containers to the large pots that I won't need for the peppers. ;-) Slocombe the cat loves(!), loves(!), loves(!), garlic, and I enjoy it as well, so I felt it appropriate for us to have 20 some cloves to plant. :-)

-I spun off more of my 'seed sown' oregano to its own pots. I was not sure that oregano would really take up here, but in a garden surprise, it has flourished! I have it in one long planter, about 18 inches long, so as it spawns off in an increasing manner, I separate it out into smaller pots. If only oregano would be as big an ebay seller as strawberries. (smile)

-I re-jiggered the wall area that leads to dear A's balkon, to block it with a foraged log. The log came from the park, in the hope that Slocombe would appreciate it as a scratching post, but alas not. Slocombe has been increasingly curious and once managed to slip between the posts that support the glass that separate my balkon from A's. I like A a lot and would not want her to be offended when someone's furry behind decides it appropriate to investigate her balkon, complete with sitting on her patio table(!). Slocombe the cat doesn't recognize boundaries on her own, they need to be erected for her, so now they have been.

-And work on round 2 of the seedlings has commenced. Now that I made it through 'strawberry season' on ebay, next up will be the small plant auctions, mainly I have tomatoes and peppers, but I have a few others as well such catnip and eggplant.

No idea why eggplant seems to be a losing battle up here. Most things will sprout easily, but eggplant is the lowest percentage for me, for seeds.

I hope you are enjoying your Sunday, wherever you are? :-)

No comments: