Posting has been a little lax recently, sorry about that. I had a last minute trip to Germany for work last week. I must admit, the weather could not have been more glorious--decadently spring-like in the Koeln/D'dorf region.
Coming into DE, I can choose between low budget flights to Cologne via German Wings or D'dorf via Air Berlin under benevolent company J's travel policy. I loathe Wings to the very core of my being; I put them into the same category as Ryan Air, mainly because of the lingering memories of when they did not assign seats and I had no desire to join the scrum that involves unassigned plane seating and Germans...as well their 'Happy Snack' concept and charging for luggage just irritates me...so Air Berlin with their assigned seating and one free bag is my choice.
Coming into passport control at D'dorf, I still travel under my DE permanent residency permit. Two years back, I tried to get them to stamp me in, but they refused. Apparently, according to the passport guy, they are not allowed to stamp me as long as the permit is in effect. It is the rules! Ja, ok. So every time since I've just shown the residency page and I've been in 12-15 times and no one blinked twice.
This time, I was in the foreigner queue with a real stickler. I counted 30 EU'ites passing in the EU queue while I was #3 in the Auslander queue. The passport guy was questioning the American in position #1 about what he was doing on this trip to Germany and where he was travelling to onward, and why was he not stamped out of Germany on his last visit (he left from Germany to Belgium by car), and on and on...
The main queue finally ran out of EU people so that guy took person #2, and I got the stickler. I hand him the passport and he scans it and then looks at his screen. I imagine my German travel history now looks questionable at best:
-2003-2009 - a variety of trips in and out, with Germany obviously as a base
-2009 - permanent residency, and then a lot of time out of Germany, once I moved to the UK.
I see him scan and then squint at the screen.
He looks through the passport, page by page, passing all of the expired DE permits and the current UK one.
He looks up at me, and I give him an appropriate German scowl.
He looks once again at the screen.
Apparently he decides that I'm not an easy enough target as he hands back my passport through the slot with a 'Danke schoen'.
At the end of the year I need to renew my passport early in order to be able to get my new UK work permit sticker in Feb 2012 as my pass expires in early 2014 and the new sticker needs the passport to be valid for six months beyond the next permit expiration. So the work permit will go to Feb 2014, therefore the passport needs to be valid until Aug 2014, else they will limit the work permit and charge exorbitant fees to extend it again. My cheapest option is to renew my passport early and not be limited by the UK then.
As a result, as of Nov of this year, I will lose my free access into Germany, until I can claim UK citizenship in Feb 2014, right after getting permanent residency here (assuming that all laws remain as they all now.)
How much do I dread that gap year of 2013 and travelling to DE??
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Other than when you get sticklers, I doubt you'll have any problems at all... My friends who visit me fly right through without any issues.
ohm, I work with Germans and that sounds exactly like them. Sticklers but they have grown on me. I think I am a stickler also now as a result. :)
I get stamped in and out all the time even with PR if I ask for the stamp. They tell me that I don't need it, but I tell them that I have to record my trips in and out because I lose PR if I'm gone for more than six months at a time. They seem to be impressed that I know that and stamp me (one didn't even know that that was the case).
I assume you'll have some kind of business visa or paperwork in the meantime.
UK citizenship? Do the UK and US allow dual?
Adam: I think I'm worried because I have the previous history. I will be curious to see what they do with a fresh passport, and hoping for no issues.
Rhona: you need to come back to Europe sooner or later. ;-)
J: You have more fortitude than me, to argue for the stamp. :-)
Yes--dual allowed, a separate post on this topic to come...
Post a Comment