Saturday, January 09, 2010

The arrival of the pumpkins in the UK!

A few months ago I was terribly disappointed, I couldn't find a pumpkin for the life of me. As we know, I like to cook pumpkins, use them in stir fries, and especially to make pumpkin soup. I searched far and wide in the days in October leading up to Halloween, but I could only find a few large decorative pumpkins, nothing edible. My UK friends and colleagues tried to explain that UK people don't really eat pumpkin...

Therefore, I was pleasantly suprised when wandering around Asda this week to find these:

I was downright amazed that their source country was the UK. The green squash in the back had hit their best buy date so they were down to .50 pence each, the orange fellows didn't expire until later in the month, so they were regular priced at 1.64 GBP each. They were stored under the herbs in a hidden place well out of site, so no wonder no one bought them.

When I was in Germany in the fall I did manage to buy one there to cook, it had cost me 1.99 at Lidl. (1.64 GBP = 1.82 EUR = 2.62 USD as of today)

I did actually buy a third one, that already became soup. :-) Pumpkins in January though, usually I'd be well into my German stockpile by now and the stores wouldn't have any for sale, so this turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me this week.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Hi Heather,
20 years ago, fresh off the boat from Australia I wanted to cook something for the in-laws. Pumpkin soup. But there were no pumpkins and no german that I met had ever eaten one "we just feed those to the pigs' was the reply. It cracks me up that every dinner party we go to here now has Pumpkin soup as a starter. And the array of choices last October was fantastic.
Big pumpkin fans in this house!