Monday, December 07, 2009

Terry's money woes and the lack of data security

You may recall from a few months back, when I first arrived my company J issued mobile phone was previously in use to someone named Terry who seemed to forget to pay a few bills. For a few months I was regularly receiving calls from bill collectors (uups, 'Finance companies'), so much so that I regularly turned my work phone off outside of work hours. For the most part, they were pleasant enough when I explained that it was a company phone issued and paid for by benevolent company J, and they were welcome to call company J to try and find Terry as I never met him, nor did I replace him or know anything about his location.

A few weeks back, Terry's misadventures appeared again, as Terry forgot to pay the water bill and I started to get SMS notices that further action would be taken. Due to the location of the water provider, I now know Terry's geographic region of the country.

Last night, Argos sent an SMS to Mr. Terry (lastname), thanking him for his order and informing him that it would be shipped tomorrow and they would call one hour in advance of delivery. Previously I didn't know Terry's last name, although I did a short first name search on company J's internal phone directory on the chance that I could get a new business number to forward people to, but no Terry's or any such close variations existed in the UK.

Sure enough today an Argos guy calls:
Argos guy: Hi, Argos here, we'll be there in an hour.
Heather: Sorry, I didn't order anything from Argos.
AG: It's a delivery for Terry (Last name)?
Heather: Sorry, that's not me.
AG: We're making a delivery to (Town, Address line 1, Address line 2)?
Heather: Sorry, I live in Essex (the opposite side of London from the address, at least 2 hours away).
AG: Sorry, I may have mis-dialed, I was trying to reach (my phone number).
Heather: Yes, you've reached the right number, but it does not belong to whomever ordered something.
AG: No worries, I try to find them.
Heather: (Good luck, you and the bill collectors.)

So Terry who spent months not paying bills including most recently the water bill is now buying something from Argos.

Perhaps more concerning--I've purposely stayed uninvolved from this situation and without trying I now know the guy's full name and address. It's not easy to see how people commit identity fraud...

4 comments:

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

ok, not a psycho but we're having a huge rain storm here and the internet's spotty. This results in the same comment being posted 3 times. sorry about that

heather in europe said...

Kristin:
heh, and here i was feeling popular there for a second or two with all those comments. ;-)