is like everything else, it's neither good nor bad in and of itself, but it's all in how you use it. More so, it's how the people who set it up create the user experience...
Example: bad technology
Southern Water Company sent me an SMS yesterday on my company J provided work mobile--'please contact this number to pay your water bill immediately, it's past due. If you do not contact us further action will be taken.'
Here in my corner of Essex, I'm serviced by Essex and Suffolk Water. Further, that water bill is paid through the property management company who covers the flat and then bills us all back every six months.
Out of curiousity I looked up where this company is located--they deliver water to people across Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. The person who had this phone before me (not at company J), skipped out on some bills it appears. For some weeks I had collection agents calling me a few months back, but once I informed them that it is a corporate registered work phone since February and here is the registered work address, they would usually back off as these bills were coming from before then.
Not wanting to get further bothered by Southern Water Company, I called them to point them in another direction.
Southern Water Co voice: What's your account number?
H: I don't have one...(explains situation)
SWC: OK, let me try to search on the mobile number.....nope, not here. Any chance you have a name or an address?
H: No...I don't know this person, I just received the mobile number later.
SWC: There's nothing we can do.
H: So you're smart enough to send me the SMS messages, but you can't figure out the person linked to that number?
SWC: Not on this system, without an account number or a full name or an address, no, sorry about that.
H: Well, it's not your fault, you didn't design it.
SWC: I would recommend, when you get more of them, just to ignore them.
H: Will this account then go to a collection agency?
SWC: If not paid, yes.
H: ....(eyes heavenward)
SWC: But if you explain, then they'll stop calling. Sorry I can't provide more help.
H: ... Well. you did your best.
SWC: I know I didn't help you so much today, but would you mind to go to a customer service survey to rate my support?
Example: good technology
I went to donate blood here in the UK. I had donated blood over six years ago, when I lived here last. I no longer have the card, nor do I remember the address registered as I do remember giving a work colleague's home address rather than worry about them sending sensitive mail to a corporate flat.
I show up and mention that the last time was over five years ago (as a non-UK resident, on top of it!), so that I probably need to register once again? The woman taps onto the laptop my name and date of birth and manages to find my record.
NHS Woman: Was your home address... (screws up face in concentration)
H: in Wales.
NHS: Yes, and you last donated in (J work city near Birmingham)?
H: Yes, that's me!
NHS: (dryly) I'll assume I should change your home address and donation address to this corner of Essex?
H: Oh yes. When I called the central help line, they mentioned that I would need to register again as a new UK donor, as it was more than five years ago?
NHS woman: They tend to say that, but your name and date of birth is distinct, so possible to find you.
H: And they don't remove the records after they are dormant for a while?
NHS: Only if you ask.
I was pleasantly surprised by that one, that they made this system easy enough to use that this woman was able to locate my six year old record in under a minute, nevermind the huge geographical disparity of where I am now to where I was before. Well done, NHS.
Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment