I had stopped by my local Aldi Sued on Friday on the way into the office, I decided in the morning that I was in a salad mood. While there, I bought some of their
bio Tofu. Big props to Aldi Sued--they are the only 'mainstream' store in my area to carry fresh tofu. Their tofu is firm and holds up well in cooking. It is highly recommended, in particular when compared to its closest competitors: the 'non-refrigerated Kaufpark tofu in a glass jar and some kind of oil designed to last years', or the 'slightly pricy Bioladen which has limited hours' tofu.
On Saturday I was in the mood for something coconut. On a whim I tried
this recipe and wow was it spectacular, even if my photo was not so hot. I'd say it rivals
my old standby,
General Tao's Tofu.
I followed the recipe exactly as it is written (except for putting it over noodles instead of rice), and the next time I make it, I'd make it exactly the same. Beware, however, you may have the desire to scarf down the whole batch, which sorta sucks when you were hoping to get two lunch meals during the week out of it. ;-)
3 comments:
Oh yes! That sounds really, really good. After being totally blown away by General Tao's I'll definitely be trying this one. And if the rest of the troops don't like it I will eat it all by myself. :-)
Don't know if you have a Plus or Edeka near you, but they are also now carrying regular and smoked tofu in the refrigerated section next to the cold cuts etc.
christina: thanks for the tip, I do have a Plus nearby, so I'll need to check it out.
And I look forward to seeing your spin on this one... :-)
Tofu? Yuck!
Post a Comment