I've seen a few comments around the internet about Burger King's latest campaign here in Germany, for the Angry Whopper. The "Angry Whopper" comes with "Angry Onions." But you can also buy Angry Onions separately, if you so choose--as I did today for lunch instead of fries. Unfortunately they do not have an 'Angry Vegetarian burger', only the normal non-angry version. ;-)
-If you're only visiting Germany, you'd probably think--well that's a little goofy, those wacky Germans.
-If you live here as a non-native Germany speaker like me, you probably blinked and automatically went into 'backward translation mode' trying to figure out what word they were working off of to mistakenly come up with 'angry' in English.
If you did as I did, you were automatically assuming that it was a bad English translation, or one of those goofy uses of English in Germany that inundates life here.
And if you did make that assumption, then you would also be wrong. :-) Check out the UK's campaign for the Angry Whopper:
http://www.burgerking.co.uk/
http://www.angry-gram.com/
Although notice that the UK has the additional description of 'hot-headed jalapeños' while in the German version the jalapeños seem to go together with the onions under the shared 'angry' adjective, although not angry in and of themselves.
BTW, my German work colleagues thought this campaign was goofy in German thinking as well. "Angry onions, what is that supposed to mean?"
Thursday, October 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I just had an angry whopper.
It smacked me down for taking a bite.
Yeah, Elisabeth and I saw that campaign in Germany and just looked at each other with a "WTF" expression! We figured something was lost in the translation... we simply didn't GET it, and moved on.
Glad we weren't the only baffled ones!
carol
tqe: was the smackdown in english or german?
carol: i need to query my british colleagues, perhaps it makes more sense it their english...
How funny! I hadn't seen any commercials or anything for this and yesterday, for the first time in months, we stopped by... Burger King! And you know what? I ate an Angry Whopper, dammit, with Angry Onions! (Burger with jalapenos? Yeah! I just love jalapenos, whether they're angry or not.) I tried to talk my hubby into going back up to the counter to tell them the onions weren't pissed enough, but I suppose they wouldn't have gotten it ;-) That is probably the DUMBEST name for onions & burgers I have ever heard. Leave it to BK.
definitely goofy in English.
Post a Comment