When you call at 11.59 to cancel your Wednesday German class (well, this should be the first clue that one is in Germany--as opposed to say, Portugal), and you reach Berlitz at 11.59:30.
As you start to state your need, the clock turns 12. The 'loud enough to wake the dead' church bells from the church that is 5 min on foot from your house start clanging. Then, you hear the church bells in the background in Koeln near Berlitz.
So both parties struggle to hear each other over the incessant pealing of bells which seem to be playing the same tune, but one at a four second lag of the other.
I was working from home today. Usually I sleep through the 07.00 ringing and am too far away for the 12.00, so usually I only catch the 19.00 weekday ones, or the 11.00 Sunday ones.
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Be thankful there's not a 2 am ringing.... (that would be how you know you're in Switzerland).
jul: 2 AM, what is the point of that one? (as I recall from my Catholic upbringing the 6 AM, noon, and 6 PM called the faithful to pray.)
Post a Comment