Monday, May 01, 2006

Katowice, Poland

May 1 is a holiday in Germany, so thus a three day weekend this year. We took a cheap flight on Central Wings (an affiliate of German Wings based out of Poland) and off we went from Cologne to Katowice. It is the closest major airport to Oswiecim, otherwise known by its WW2 German name of Auschwitz. We went to both Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II-Birkenau. That whole part of the trip remains surreal.

While there, we stayed in the town of Tychy. It is a small-ish industrial town in an industrial region of Poland. Located smack dab in the center is the Tyskie brewery. It is one of the most popular beers in Poland. They also produce Pilsner Urquell there, with a special brewmaster arriving once per week from the Czech Republic to oversee production.

I ate a lot of Polish food while there. Contrary to popular understanding, there is quite a lot of Polish vegetarian food, it's just a matter of knowing what to look for. My absolute favorite is mushroom pierogis, followed closely by Polish pickles.

Poland still remains an inexpensive country to visit although prices seem to have risen from when I first visited. Katowice has a grand mall, large by US standards, and open on Sundays until 21.00, something that Germany does not have. It has higher end brands like Hugo Boss and a gigantic Tesco selling everything imaginable with 20+ checkout lines.

Overall Katowice is a winner for a long weekend.

2 comments:

Anna Weltman said...

I'm commenting on all of your blogs! Normally, i won't do this...but you had no comments yet, so I wanted you to at least get a few comments going! I would have freaked out to see Auschvitz...I'm not so eager to go there. I wouldn't mind if you told me about it, but seeing it myself might not happen. Go ahead and send me a blurb on it. Thanks.
Anna

heather in europe said...

Nat: Noted! Stay tuned...