- I am a now a "localized expat" with the same company. I am treated and counted like a German employee of the company, under a German legal entity. I get a German paycheck in Euros to a German bank account, German health benefits, German vacation (30 days!), etc. but I lose my American benefits like health and 401k.
- No, I am not a German citizen. I continue to get the exact same work permit paperwork which gets renewed once per year. Each year they put new stickers on two passport pages so when I enter or leave Germany I just show them those pages; then they do not stamp my passport.
- Germany and the US have a reciprocity agreement regarding social security. I pay into the German system, but as long as I stay here at least 18 months, I can claim that time as if I was in the US. Further, as long as I am here 18 months, I will qualify for German payments when I retire. Germany is in the same situation as the US regarding social security, so who knows if they will be there. Further, the amount I would receive on a check from Germany would lower my US payments by the same amount, so it's not a gain.
- Is there anything else you'd like to know?
Germany's unemployment is classified as a 'chronic problem'. Currently it is around 12%, so I am very fortunate to be able to work here as a foreigner.
I will add some more posts of my previous group emails and try this out to see if I am any good at regularly posting.
1 comment:
Great Blog, Heather! I'm most interested in how you are now treated as a German,etc...etc...that stuff is relevant to me, anyway.
I'm not so good with blogger; i've got one too, but it seems that my posts are not really appealing or doing the right thing. When I have time, i'll look it over and try to correct stuff. I'll send you a link when I get it happening. Does Germany have anything like Craigslist? Anna
Post a Comment