Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Oct 3 - Another German holiday

Oct 3 is German Unification Day. It's the day that Germans celebrate the recombining of East and West Germany. What do you do on that day? It's like a Sunday, all of the shops are closed, and it's not a religious holiday, so there is no church service. So what does the average German in the Cologne/Duesseldorf area do? Judging by the traffic today, we all went shopping in Holland. I took yesterday off also, so I had a four day weekend.

In other news I have scheduled the rest of my holiday for the year. Next week I go back to Lithuania and visit my cousins. From there I fly to Tallinn, Estonia, an elusive one on my travel list. All told I have a week off to the Baltics.

Then, next month Nov 1 is a holiday and then I spend a few days in Iceland once more. I am very excited to see how cold Iceland is in November and the general atmosphere there and if it is very touristed.

3 comments:

Eric J. Burton said...

The average person probably drinks beer. When I was in the Army at Patch Barack in Stuttgart Vaihagen, we pulled gate duty and all of the German workers vehicles would have the heavy platsic cases of beer with the glass bottles in their trucks and they would have beer breaks starting at 10:00 in the morning. I am not sure they were as productive after the first beer break.

I swear all you have to say was firm Hiem and you be granted entry on to post. Germany was a fun time and I would go back again if I had a chance.

heather in europe said...

Hello Goon, and thanks for stopping by. Interesting on your comment and you could be right. My local bar opened on the holiday from 10 AM to 3 PM. No reason to sleep late on a holiday when you could instead be at the bar early.

Eric J. Burton said...

Those are funny hours, in Stuttgart there was a bar that was open 23 hours a day.