Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Iceland: Part 1


Iceland is so beautiful that even someone who does not take good photos will get good photos. Let's start. I left from Frankfurt Hahn airport, which is around 2 hours from Cologne. I left from Hahn because Iceland Express leaves from there with a cheap, direct flight. Hahn was formerly a US miliary base that is up in the hills well outside of Frankfurt. Currently it caters to the cheap airline and those willing to trek up there to get the dirt cheap tickets.







This is from the coast of Vestmannaeyjar island. It is a little island that is close of the big island of Iceland. To get there, you can take a bus from Reykjavik which takes 55 minutes, and then you get on the ferry which takes around 2 hours 15 min. Many people were on the ferry. A traveler from Norway and I chatted the whole time. He told me that the Islandic language is similar to and ancient form of Norwegian, so when they spoke a certain way, he could understand bits and pieces.




The island itself has many mountains. In general Icelanders are very friendly and open. You are welcome to traipse all over their island. Everywhere that I went, people were very curious where I came from, and why I came to visit. It's a bit of a strange phenomenon, they speak American English due to the TV, movies and music, but they don't get to use it much with an American necessarily so whenever they answer you it is often two seconds later than you would expect, sort of like you are on a long distance phone call to the other side of the world.

No comments: